X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter detecting in MN/WI?

Hey - probably a stupid newbie question, but do cold weather climate folks still detect in the winter? I imaging the snow isn't as much of a problem as the frozen ground for digging? Just curious what others in the frozen upper Midwest do in the winter. Just daydream about spring?

well usually in Oklahoma we dig year round but this year has been different.. ground is hard as a rock..well at least it is where I am..
    Contact me for your best forum deal!
    Evan@GonehuntingForHistory.com or 580-775-5970

Comment

We sit and research, read forums, DREAM OF SPRING, and try not to go stir crazy. This morning was -31 degrees. With those temps I'm thinking the screens would probably freeze. The ground is also frozen several feet down, so the only thing you could search for in the snow is recently lost items
      Garrett AT PRO, Garrett GTAx 750, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, I sense a trend!

https://www.facebook.com/lakesareametaldetecting

Comment

A definite no-go here in Michigan. May as well try to cut a plug through concrete.
        Minelab E-Trac - Fisher F2 - Garrett GTAx400 - Garrett Pro-Pointer
        Kalamazoo Metal Detecting on Facebook

Comment

I have heard that some of our neighbors to the North in Canada do some detecting around the popular sledding hills. I guess that makes sense, if not just to pass the time until the snow melts. There has to be some dropped/lost items around the busy spots, especially with people taking gloves off, pockets opening, etc.
          Minelab Etrac, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-Handle

Comment

Currently trying not to think of detecting because more snow has fallen lol I get twitchy when we pass the one field I want to hit, especially as the wind is so bad there most of the snow is blown off the field and I can see the dirt.....nevert wanted spring so bad before in my life haha

Comment

During a "normal" winter in Illinois only about the top 1-2" of soil freezes and once you break through that first layer it is easy digging. A lot of guys move into the woods when the soil in the grassy areas freeze solid. The fallen leaves in the woods insulate the soil somewhat which makes for a bit easier digging.

Comment

Working...
              X